Today, March 25, I can proudly say that January's Halloween project is finished. Or at least 95% finished.
It needs just a little last-minute tweaking. The eyes and mouth need to be made slightly more opaque. Another layer of netting should take care of that. I'll probably have the branches emerge from a higher location on the trunk. My basement ceiling wouldn't permit it. And I'm still toying with the idea of extending the branches to have them terminate as hands. Though I likely won't. Overall, I'm pleased with the result. I've been trying to imagine it outside. At night. Illuminated from within. Without Star Wars posters behind it.
I ended up staying with the thin foam for the trunk. Although I thought at first it would be disastrous. I discovered, however, that adding a layer of cheesecloth dipped in glue mitigated the damaging effects of spray paint. Who knew?
It remains to be seen how well the tree withstands the wind and rain of October. But experience has taught me well and I have several cement blocks standing by to anchor the frame and provide stability. So far, it's been holding up well in my basement. Despite the best efforts of my assistant.
I was so pleased with the cheesecloth-on-foam effect for the trunk (thanks to Mike C. for pointing me in that direction) that I went ahead and made another one. Which means that I will have at least two trees come Halloween. One for either side of my porch steps. At this point, I am not sure whether I will attempt to realize my dream of creating several more to line the driveway.
For now, it's on to April/February's project.